Fixing front door to lintel

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My front door is a standard UPVC job, fitted well before we moved in. The opening it sits in is about 2.2m wide with two sidelights either side of the main door.

Currently when you open and close the door the whole thing shakes, I assume because it's fixed at either end into the wall but has no fixings in the middle.

When we moved in there was no lintel, it was just a single skin of bricks which were coming down (along with the end of the joists that were Sat on them), cowboy door fitters were the cause of that.

We had a catnic type lintel put in to fix this and there is a gap of about an inch from the top of the UPVC frame to the bottom of the steel. The guys that fitted the lintel for us filled this with foam.

To stop the shaking I was hoping there was some way to fix the top of the door frame to the lintel, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Yes drill the lintel if you want rainwater seeping through the frame.

You'd get a slight improvement if you raked the foam out, put the fattest widest bit of timber you can get into the gap, hammer some wedges in above the sides of the doorframe, try and fix the floating ends of the timber to the brickwork and then screw up through the frame into the timber with some short fat screws.
Also pop the glass out of the sidelights and screw those frames to the timber as well.
May not be perfect but it'll be better

Sponsored Links
Self drill screws would work

Is it not fixed at the bottom ?

There's nothing obvious, I'm assuming it is bedded on something though.

Yes drill the lintel if you want rainwater seeping through the frame.

Because of the design of the door there's no water that gets to the lintel so I don't think rainwater would get to it?

There's nothing obvious, I'm assuming it is bedded on something though.

Because of the design of the door there's no water that gets to the lintel so I don't think rainwater would get to it?

The wall don't get wet then?

The outside is a thick decorative wooden beam, the lintel is the other side of this. It's single story and the roof overhangs both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back