Fixing gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20170223_111322.jpg
20170223_131230.jpg
20170223_142549.jpg

This gate was rubbing against the side so first sanded it down. Do u always sand or plane the gate not post?

I then tried to pull in the post holding the gate (hinge side) by drilling through then putting a plug on end of screw. Pushing this in then hammering it in. When u push a plug through wood how far do u screw it on to the screw?

The gate was then not rubbing at all and swung in the wind and smashed the latch. What would u recommend doing to stop the gate swinging too far the other way?

Attachments

• 20170223_142549.jpg
    20170223_142549.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
It could swell when wet and stick again sanding does not remove enough , gates can swell 15-20mm in wet weather.

Sponsored Links
Plug needs to me knocked thru the hole before applying screw or it wont reach the brickwork.

Plug needs to me knocked thru the hole before applying screw or it wont reach the brickwork.

So slightly screwed onto the end of a long screw and hammered in right? U can use brown or red plugs, cant u?

Just knock thru plug to ensure it's in brickwork, plug size depends on hole diameter and screw size.

Most of the sticking gates I come across are because the timber they are hung on has moved a few mm away from the wall and needs refixed. The other few are because its a crapply made gate and its sagging out of square.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back