fixing insulation and plasterboard to block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just starting the internal fit out of my extension which I have built myself so far.

The walls are dense concrete block and require 70mm celotex and then plasterboard.

There will be no battens. (architect spec)

I would prefer to use separate insulation and PB due to significant cost saving.

How do I fix the insulation to the blocks and then how do I fix the PB on top?

Should I be avoiding foil faced insulation?

I cat find much info online.

Thanks,
Shaun

Sponsored Links
Use insulated plasterboards, the small cost premium is worth it in effort.

The right supplier should also be not too far off on price at all.

Some will need a little preparation before attaching to the wall, some do not. It depends on the backer used.

Ideally you will have a condensation risk calculation to tell you what insulated plasterboard to get and what vapour resistance value it should have - they are not all the same, even if a merchant claims so.

at the moment the cost comparison based on what i have been able to get quoted is

70mm PIR £26.65, 12.5 PB £6 = £33
Insulated PB 82.5 = £60

Difference is about 1k + vat

Sponsored Links
But now add in two lots of adhesive. For fixing insulated PB you can use either bonding compound (dabs) or foam adhesive - cost is about the same - dabs allow more potential for "positioning" of the boards on non-flat walls, foam is great if the walls are pretty flat. By rights, you should add a few mechanical fixings to stop the boards dropping off the wall in a fire... Insulated PB usually includes a VCL, and is much more rigid than separates, which makes for easier installation - it goes up like lego.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back