Foil insulation in roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My BCO has asked for 150mm celotex insulation in my vaulted porch roof with 50mm air gap.

Would there be any benefit in tacking up foil insulation before the plasterboard? I know the foil will be compressed but is there any need for me to be concerned over potential bridging of cold through timbers to PB?

Only asking as a friend of mine in another county was told by his BCO to Insulate between the timbers and PB.

I could always fix insulated PB instead of regular

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You should insulate between and either over or under the rafters.
How much of each, depends on the type of insulation.

If you decide to use two different insulation products, you may likely have to justify the thicknesses by a calculation.

In my vaulted ceiling I was told 100mm in between (although I think they have increased it now) and 50mm below. And no air gap.
I have left a gap, as when I read up, it seems to be a good idea.

Sponsored Links
In my vaulted ceiling I was told 100mm in between (although I think they have increased it now) and 50mm below. And no air gap.
I have left a gap, as when I read up, it seems to be a good idea.
If the gap can be vented, then you should leave an air gap on the cold side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back