fixing island units to the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 questions in 1

1. What method should you use to secure island units?

2. The island unit is doubling as a breakfast bar and i want to have the stone worksurface overhanging, What depth would be appropriate? Do you need to include additional support under the breakfast bar? it will be running along the length of the units

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
fix them to each other then don't bother fixing to the floor.. the stone worktop sould provide enough weight to stop it from moving..

you could always screw through the center of the bottom half of the feet and leave the screw a bit loose so that you can turn to level..

i'm no expert, but i wouldn't leave it unsecured (sorry coljack) - can you imagine a house party, and you invite the local rugby team, and it gets a bit rowdy... and 4 forwards try to wedgie the hooker, and in the ruckus, they all trip and stumble towards the breakfast bar.... and unfortunatley 70 stone hits your breakfast bar... much better to have a number of 20mm bolts concreted in and supported said breakfast bar?

Thanks for the responses so far, Im concerned that allowing the stone to overhang on just one side will lead to it being unstable, So think i will at least put some screws through the feet, Do you think putting some extra (hidden) wood support under the rear edge of the cabinates of the breakfast bar would also be appropriate?

What depth of overhang would be appropriate? The island itself is 2.5m x 0.6m, I was thinking about a 0.2-0.3m overhang to get my knees under

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Ends of the unit should have end panels, full length, screwed internally to carcass and floor, will provide all the support required, screwing plastic legs to the floor is pointless, they will snap with lateral movement.

I agree with foxhole screw your end panel to the floor you can even leave it larger than the cuboards giving you even more support on the seating side and not interfearing to much with leg room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back