fixing kitchen units to plaster cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Changing the utility room and need to hang new kitchen unit. The wall is plasterboard with a cavity and strapping. So my question is what's the best way to secure them to the wall. Should I run a strap and secure to this or place some ply behind the units and fix directly to this (bit of an overkill maybe). I just wanted to make sure they are secure and don't fall down when the wife flings everything into them

Thanks in advance

Z

Sponsored Links
Hi Z you would normally get some fittings with wall hanging units which you can hang the wall cupboards/units from. Mark these out on the wall first. The units will hang straight onto them. When you fit these cupboard hangers drill into the wall down over to give extra strength. So on an angle. If you have a stud work / noggin detector, you might be able to plan your layout of the wall units so you pick up on some of the stud work to get a better/ stronger wall fixing rather than just straight into the plaster board.

On wall units there will be a void area at the back. When ive fitted wall units in the past ive attached a wooden battern across the inside back of the wall units at the bottom. Then when the units are on the wall ive screwed through the back of the units from the inside and picked up on this battern to give more strength. This can also be done at the top of the units as well if you want, rather than the wall hanger.

as another option if your fitting a pelmet to the bottom of the finished units you could use a battern underneath each unit for the cupboards to sit on this will be then hidden when you fit your pelmet. Hope this helps....others may comment further. Cheers dude.

Dude

Just a quick thank you for your reply, it has confirmed what I was planning on doing

Cheers

Z

fix to the studs, not just the plasterboard. use battens as described if necessary.
try a stud finder or you can probe the wall by drilling until you find them. it;s going to be covered afterwards. they should be at 400 to 600 centres.
watch out for cables, they should only be horizontal or vertical from a switch or socket.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back