Mount kitchen wall unit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently fitting a kitchen with reclaimed in frame solid oak doors.

The doors are standard 72cm but I want the cabinets to go to the ceiling. Unfortunately as my ceiling aren't very high a 90cm tall wall unit wouldn't give the clearance I want above my countertop.

Because of this I've made my own custom units that are 82cm high and 40cm deep made of 18mm hardwood ply.

I was wondering the best way to secure them to the wall. As the unit will go all the way to the ceiling i can't hook them onto wall brackets so was thinking of securing them straight to the wall through the back of the kitchen unit will some 10mm x 100mm screws/bolts and plugs. As the back is 18mm thick and there will be some packers in places as walls aren't perfect approximately 75mm of the screws will be in the wall. Does this seem reasonable or is there a better way.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
'As the unit will go all the way to the ceiling i can't hook them onto wall brackets'
Why not? brackets are adjustable.

I'm currently fitting a kitchen with reclaimed in frame solid oak doors.

The doors are standard 72cm but I want the cabinets to go to the ceiling. Unfortunately as my ceiling aren't very high a 90cm tall wall unit wouldn't give the clearance I want above my countertop.

Because of this I've made my own custom units that are 82cm high and 40cm deep made of 18mm hardwood ply.

I was wondering the best way to secure them to the wall. As the unit will go all the way to the ceiling i can't hook them onto wall brackets so was thinking of securing them straight to the wall through the back of the kitchen unit will some 10mm x 100mm screws/bolts and plugs. As the back is 18mm thick and there will be some packers in places as walls aren't perfect approximately 75mm of the screws will be in the wall. Does this seem reasonable or is there a better way.

Any advice appreciated.
Why to the ceiling?, infill panel would normally be used for flush finish to ceiling.

Which brackets could I use that are height adjustable? I've not fitted a kitchen before. The units I took down had a french cleat type bracket. If I used this type I would have to lift the unit up and drop it onto the bracket leaving a cm gap or so at the top.

Sponsored Links
My cabinets were shot on with hilti nails.

Which brackets could I use that are height adjustable? I've not fitted a kitchen before. The units I took down had a french cleat type bracket. If I used this type I would have to lift the unit up and drop it onto the bracket leaving a cm gap or so at the top.
The cups brackets have height and depth adjustments .

screw through the backs if you trust your cabinet making skills. 3 screws @ 6.5 x80 should do it. 10mm screws? bit ott.
you could also screw up into a joist if you know where they are.

I used some adjustable wall unit brackets in the end with the supplied screws which were probably about the size suggested. I did replace the included brackets with a rail and probably doubled the numbers of screws. The cabinets were pretty heavy with nothing in and one is holding a microwave so didn't want to take any chances. Was a bit fiddly getting the units hooked on as I didn't have much clearance but they are still up and fingers crossed they stay there.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back