Fixing large ply oats to exteriors wall with large insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im building a small climbing wall (270cm x 158cm) on our balcony. This would involve a wooden frame fixed to the concrete wall with 18mm plywood screwed to the frame. The only problem is I live in modern construction (9 years old). In order to reach concrete I need to get through roughly 180mm of insulation with a fibreglass mesh over the top. Any advice on how to achieve this? I can’t get plugs that long. Could I push through a smallish plug through insulation the concrete? Are there screws designed for this purpose? Any advice would be much appreciated.

scott

Sponsored Links
google threaded bars.
Is the 18mm ply being supported on the balcony?

Auto correct. Plywood board. Yes, the frame and board will sit on the balcony and be fixed to the wall.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the threaded rod advice. So, would I need to put in a concrete screw rod hanger first or is there another way of fixing the threaded rod to the concrete?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back