Fixing Leaking Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have noticed a small amount of damp coming through to a room I have just had skimmed (Great!). I have traced this back to the old capped chimney breast.

After taking a look it is obviously in need of a bit of attention.

1. At the back of the chimney a lot of earth and moss has collected. You can see in the picture I just scraped half of this away. Do I just need to clear it all or is there anything that need to be done to prevent it building up?

2. With all the blown bricks and pointing can this be solved by just repointing and almost rending off the affected bricks? Can I just use a bag of ready mixed cement for this?

Thanks,
Jim

Sponsored Links
I would remove the chimney head to below the soffit and install a twinwall flue through the roof for your gas appliance.

Thanks Alastair, however there is no appliance using the chimney breast anymore. I presume it was left open to allow ventilation in the breast to prevent damp problems in what would otherwise be a closed cavity.

Grateful if you or anybody else can see any problems with my proposed solution - as to be honest it would be cheap and easy for me to do.

Cheers,
Jim

Alastair is spot on IMHO. Drop the stack to below the roof line and make good. People on here can show you how.

Dont attempt a quick/cheap solution that will come back and back.

The flashing is incorrectly detailed it's going to rip, sod's law, quite soon. The back gutter is inadequate and has in effect become a secret gutter.

The flat roof isn't looking too clever so be careful working from it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Alastair, however there is no appliance using the chimney breast anymore.
Cheers,
Jim

all the better! drop the stack below the roofline, install a couple of brick vents, seal off the flues with a couple of cut slabs.
then fill in the roof.

its for the best in the long term. an unused stack acts like a giant sponge.
the 2nd flue has no ventilation either! unless the top course of the bridge has been removed.
make sure the redundant fireplaces are vented as well.

All sound advice - but if you still want to go cheap - douse the whole lot in Grangers proofing or similar liquid waterproofer - I did and I should know better ;) Worked a treat on my leaky chimney ( until I get round to a proper job)

Thank you all for the advice - I am now confused!

I like the idea of doing it properly, but am worried about by skill level and time/cost. Would the plan be to take the level of the stack down below the roof line, then fill in the roof/tiles in the gap?

Nige F - I thought Grangers was what you put on your boots to keep them waterproof?!

MNB - You have worried me about the flat roof, what looks wrong with it? (it looks quite new to me).

Cheers,
Jim

Thank you all for the advice - I am now confused!

I like the idea of doing it properly, but am worried about by skill level and time/cost. Would the plan be to take the level of the stack down below the roof line, then fill in the roof/tiles in the gap?

Remove the chimneyhead below the roofline/soffit.
extend the rafters and fit new facings and soffit plate.
fit new length of gutter.
felt batten and tile to complete roof.

install 2 brick vents in each of the flues which are now below roofline.
remove a couple of courses below the soffit.
cap off flues with off cuts of slabs maintaining a run off.

make sure the redundant fireplaces are vented.
cover flat roof with some ply to protect from falling debris.
scaffold should be erected.

only attempt this if you feel competent.
personally i would remove the complete chimney breast, but that's another story.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back