Fixing loose floorboards on first floor with noggins?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I just want some advice as to whether this seems like the best solution. We have three spots of loose floorboards on our first floor, all just in front of thresholds. Each spot can’t be more then 1sqm but they are getting more loose as time goes on.

I had a carpenter out to look at it and he said it was such a small job he’d had to upcharge just to make it worthwhile. He mentioned that the floorboards across the joists are a bit like a game of Tetris (thanks previous owner!) and so some of joins for each floorboard meet inbetween the joists so are unsupported at their weakest points.

He said he could try putting a few noggins in to sort this issue.

I will try and do this myself so wondered whether fixing noggins between the joists around the first floor thresholds and then refitting the floorboards would suffice? Or should I just replace the Tetris style floorboards with correct sized boards which might negate the need for neggins altogether if they are laid on the joists correctly?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back