Fixing Mirror Resting on Fireplace to Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I came across this site whilst doing some research on fixing mirrors securely to walls. One thing that makes my situation slightly different is our mirror is the type that pretty much sits right on top of a fireplace.

As such we plan to do this and whilst it does stand up on there find it's not particularly secure and if a bang or child were to run past or knock it then that would not be good. We haven't actually put it up yet for this reason and were looking at ways we could fix it securely.

Does anyone have any advice they could give as to how best to go about this? It's a brick chimney breast but whilst I can drill I'm not overly confident I could match everything up right and keep it so the bottom rests on the fireplace. I'd also like to avoid any mounts being on show.

I have heard of mirror glue and didn't know if that would be particularly useful, it's not an incredibly heavy mirror and I guess it doesn't need to bear a load of weight (as it's resting on the fireplace) but I want to be confident it's not going to fall forwards after a bash. The back of the mirror looks to have a thin mdf backing if that helps.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, yes it does have a frame. There are no mounts on the back of it though. There were some hooks on the sides but we removed them as we wanted it flush. I'll take a look at that link and see what we think.

They look like they'll work thanks foxhole. I will get some ordered and see. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately that wouldn't work. Whilst the mirror is framed for whatever reason the actual back of it had what looks like thin sheet of MDF stapled in to it that pretty much makes the back completely flush. I think even with foxhole's suggestion there will be some gap behind it but hopefully minimal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back