Fixing mirror to tiled wall with adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my bathroom re-tiled with semi-gloss ceramic tiles.

I want to put up a mirror, about 2' wide by 1 high, but am reluctant to drill the tiles just in case I change my mind about the size/position one day.

I've bought some mirror adhesive (Geocel Trade Mate Mirror Fix Silicone), Screwfix product code 95057.

But how should I support the mirror for the required 24 hours while the glue is curing?

I thought of gluing a wooden batten to the wall first, allowing the glue to set, then fixing the mirror and finally removing the batten. But I'm worried that I might have trouble removing the batten afterwards.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
An underwhelming response, but never mind.

For the benefit of anyone else needing to do this, I built a crude wooden support with three battens - one to support the underside of the mirror, and two to support that batten on the floor. This was all securely taped to the wall with duct tape (proper branded stuff, not Screwfix's own which hardly sticks at all).

After cleaning the tiles and mirror back with alcohol, I stuck a few matchsticks to the wall with masking tape, just inside the outline of the mirror, to maintain the recommended 2mm glue thickness. Serveral thick vertical beads of the adhesive were applied to the back of the mirror, about 4" apart as per the instructions, staying well cleear of the edges.

The mirror was then offered up to the wall and gently pressed into place so that it sat evenly up against the matchstick spacers. A few strips of tape were used to secure the top to the wall, leaving most of the edges uncovered so that the adhesive could still cure.

A day later, the wooden support, duct tape and matchsticks were removed - job done.

C.

I find a "Extension Support Rod" (Screwfix 14003) handy for this kind of stuff. Bought one for plasterboarding used for all sorts of supporting and "clamping", very handy.

If it reach across the room you can "clamp" timber to the wall. Or put rod between floor and ceiling a metre away from wall and then timber wedged across to support mirror etc.

Just a thought.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back