Fixing plasterboard to painted brick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I converting my garage into a utility room, the bricks have been painted with a matt paint, leaving a smooth finish. Would plasterboard fixing cement secure the plasteroard to the brick wall or would it come off with the paint in time? Not sure what else to do, the wall is too uneven to fix battens and attach that way, and removing all the paint would take forever and a day! Any suggestions???

Sponsored Links
either use neat pva or a needle gun.

the pva will probably work provided you don't start swinging off the boards once stuck. allow the pva to go tacky before applying the bonding compound.

[I'm not a pro]

Or you could guestimate where the dry wall adhesive dollops will be going and remove the paint on those parts of the wall only - no need to do the whole wall.

You're not going to see the wall one the dry wall has gone up, so you could use one of those wire brush attachments on the end of a drill to remove the paint from the brick. Perhaps there is a special tool for this - HSS?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back