cement render painted brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have reciently been asked to skim the walls of a room, the walls are bricked roughly but are painted, I advised dot & dab , but they liked the idea of cement render and plaster skim, is it wise/possible to cement onto painted walls? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Tell them you're very busy for the next 6 months, this has the signs of continuing grief if you touch it.

Battens screwed to walls infilled with celotex and the p/b screwed on.increased insulation and NO WAY is it gonna come off ;) Or get them to sign a disclaimer, and checkout British Gypsum website re Bonding and hardwall finish

carlite bonding would be as good, if not mix up cement, pva and a couple of hand fulls of sand to a slurry and apply with a roller and let it dry, raking the joints and marking up the brickwork would add a mechanical key, then render in the normal way

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
............ Or get them to sign a disclaimer..........

Don't rely on this. If it fails and they take you to court you will have to pay to get it sorted as you did a job you knew was suspect. Others have been this way before, don't follow them.

Thanks guys, i appreciate your help, I was initially thinking of a SBR, sharp sand, cement, slurry mix rollered on to the wall. i suppose i feel a little bit bullied into doing something i'm not really familiar with, as I initially suggested dot and dab to them, and they dismissed it. maybe i'll suggest they find someone who's happier to give them what they want.

oilman said:
Nige F said:
............ Or get them to sign a disclaimer..........

Don't rely on this. If it fails and they take you to court you will have to pay to get it sorted as you did a job you knew was suspect. Others have been this way before, don't follow them.
Thanks for that oilman..could be a close shave :cry:

iaith said:
Thanks guys, i appreciate your help, I was initially thinking of a SBR, sharp sand, cement, slurry mix rollered on to the wall. i suppose i feel a little bit bullied into doing something i'm not really familiar with, as I initially suggested dot and dab to them, and they dismissed it. maybe i'll suggest they find someone who's happier to give them what they want.

give them a price for it, that might change there mind ;) Its 2 days work sand and cement,1 day dot dab and skim. some people think plasterboard is ****e, i dont.

JB,

Dont you have problems with the boards moving if you plaster the same day ?

I drylined a wall the other week for a friend then skimmed the following day ..

You telling me i could have done it all in one go :( i only gave it one coat of board finish) is that correct or should it have a second coat once the first had dried a little ?

Cheers,

Mick.

Mick Leek said:
JB,

Dont you have problems with the boards moving if you plaster the same day ?

I drylined a wall the other week for a friend then skimmed the following day ..

You telling me i could have done it all in one go :( i only gave it one coat of board finish) is that correct or should it have a second coat once the first had dried a little ?

Cheers,

Mick.

drywall adhesive dries in a couple of hours then skim, one coat is sound aslong as you can achieve the same finish ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back