Plastering internal walls of new kitchen extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly hi to everyone.

O.K heres the problem. I don't know how to proceed with the internal walls of the kitchen extension.

construction
2 walls are brick/cavity/thermalite blocks and 1 is party wall/cavity/brick.

Should I use a

cement render/undercoat plaster/finishing plaster

thistle/undercoat plaster/finishing plaster

dot and dab plasterboard

I have been told the cement render will strengthen the walls, but is this over the top. But bear in mind I have to hang the kitchen units from the walls. whats the best option

cheers

Sponsored Links
just finished my kitchen extension and i used dot and dab (frowned upon by some on here)

Dot/dab is probably the easiest route if you intend DIY or if the skill of the plasterer is suspect (& I confess I’ve taken this easy route a couple of times) but on a new extension, I would definitely go traditional & use undercoat & finishing plaster.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have previously renewed my kitchen and gone back to bare brick, I also went down the route of dot & dab plasterboard.

one thing I would like to mention, I screwed approx 250 x 15 thk timbers to the walls at the point were the wall untis would be fixed, this makes it a lot easier when the kitchen fitter needs to fix the units they can screw them straight on with no hassle of plasterboard screws etc

Thanks all,

When some of you advise undercoat and plaster. Do you mean undercoat with cement render or undercoat plaster.

generally a fitted kitchen requires many drilled fixing points and a float and set (backing plaster with a skim finish top coat) lends itself well to this purpose.

for convenience and ease of use, a light weight render such as thistle browning (good all rounder) or thistle bonding (low suction backgrounds)are the plasterers choice.

Richard C said:
on a new extension, I would definitely go traditional & use undercoat & finishing plaster.

What is this undercoat you are refereing to.... browning ?

Guys, would thistle hardwall be closer to sand cement properties. is this a good compromise.

moe100 said:
Guys, would thistle hardwall be closer to sand cement properties. is this a good compromise.

why are you so concerned about the properties of sand/cement render?

ultimately it will be the penetrating depth of a mechanical fixing that will be taking the load. the render just becomes part of a sandwich. you will not crush bonding or browning with kitchen unit fixing.

Hi Noseall,
I'm mainly concerned with the thermalite blocks. I'm thinking, if I use cement render then it will strengthen the walls and stop any possible movement/cracks in the future. These thermalite blocks don't look as strong as the original 9" brick blockwall the house is made from

Am I worrying too much

Cheers

moe100 said:
Am I worrying too much

Cheers

yes and no.

i tend to go a half a drill size smaller than recommended for the wall plugs when dealing with softer substrates. it makes the fixings nice and snug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back