Overboarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to reinstate three originally plastered internal walls after the old render and plaster has been removed (not by me and I have no idea why).

I have used dot & dab in the past to overboard internal walls in the past and am happy with this method but I am not sure if this is the best for external facing walls.

The walls are currently bare brick, and I have the choice of either dot & dab boarding & plaster or base coat and plaster. Can anyone shed any light on which would be most appropriate or best practice. If I use a base coat should I be using browning or thistle hard wall?

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if theres not a problem with damp all your suggestions are sound, i prefer hardwall or toughcoat to browning, you could also use sand and cement.

Thanks jbonding,

I have not seen any signs of damp so I think I will go with Hardwall as I have used it before and was happy with the results. Just out of curiosity is there any reason for using sand and cement other than cost?

Many thanks again

its a lot stronger than gypsum products, also used for damp proofing and sometimes as a finish. ;)

Sponsored Links
I would dot and dab the walls with 9mm tappered boards then tape and joint With scrim tape and easy fill (no need to plaster, cheaper and it looks just as good)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back