Fixing roof edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Thanks for everyone’s help so far. I’ve got the cladding on but weighing up what to do with the fascia and the edge of the roof. I’ve had to come out slightly to get the cladding on. The edges weren’t the most straight so didn’t have the option of cladding straight onto the sheathing (appreciate the recommendation on that though).

I’ve attached some photos. Budget is an issue. I’m resigned to getting new fascia’s as the previous ones were cut way too short. My thought was to just trim the edges and replace the felt on the edging. Think I can do that myself. Got a decent blow torch if need be but wanted to get any ideas on keeping costs low. Don’t particularly want to redo the whole roof as we will be selling soon.

It’s a cold roof if that makes a difference. There is no insulation at all. If I was staying I’d do it properly and insulate it too. But that can be for the next owner.

Thanks all

9181FD04-58B1-4FCE-B2CF-148297B0A7E5.jpeg
3CAEB07F-E17B-4B59-B945-101F23DF35F8.jpeg
D748956B-2A22-42F6-890D-5D2EB8708A2D.jpeg
97BC93F0-537E-4F1A-A5FE-A58D1C758F6B.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I’m assuming I can just cut the grey part back in the last picture and redo the edging? It’s laid on top of the black felt.

If that’s the case, would you use the self adhesive felt or the torch on stuff? I’ve got no experience in laying it so would appreciate specific recommendations on which product to go for.

Cheers

I’m assuming I can just cut the grey part back in the last picture and redo the edging? It’s laid on top of the black felt.

If that’s the case, would you use the self adhesive felt or the torch on stuff? I’ve got no experience in laying it so would appreciate specific recommendations on which product to go for.

Cheers
You need to redo the roof edge flashings along with a deeper knock on down the sides (to deal with the added cladding thickness) and an adequate thickness drip, to deal with the gutter run-off. You cladding will then but up to the new knock on (sides) and the flashing drip will cover the joint. Or make an allowance for the side fascia to be re-fitted, if that's what you prefer.

Flat roof edge flashings - not an easy job for the uninitiated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You need to redo the roof edge flashings along with a deeper knock on down the sides (to deal with the added cladding thickness) and an adequate thickness drip, to deal with the gutter run-off. You cladding will then but up to the new knock on (sides) and the flashing drip will cover the joint. Or make an allowance for the side fascia to be re-fitted, if that's what you prefer.

Flat roof edge flashings - not an easy job for the uninitiated.
Thanks @noseall

Would be nice to keep the sides of the fascia just to save money.

Understand the point on building out the edges so the cladding sits underneath.

Yeah I’m worried about the corners for flat roof flashings but hoping the straights will be fine. What would you recommend a novice uses? Torch on or the self adhesive stuff? Any brand/product recommendations?

Cheers

So the plan is to reuse the side fascia Assuming it cleans up well enough. I’ll need to buy a new length for the front though.

Struggling to find any pointers on how to transition from a raised kerb on the sides to the front run off. All the guides and videos are related to rubber or fibreglass roofs. Any tips?

Do I need to lay a membrane down if I’m just redoing the edges and can I use grp trims for the front and sides?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back