Fixing sleeper wall to existing brick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive got a brick wall at the back of my garden. Its about 90cm high and 4.5m long.

Im intending to replace it with 100mmx200mmx2.4m sleepers - 5 courses of 2 sleepers end to end sited on their narrow (100mm) side.

I think there are 2 options:

a) Retain the existing wall - its in good condition - and fix the sleepers to the wall with some L plates, as well as to each other with suitable screws

or

b) should I pull the wall down and postcrete in some fence posts in its place and fix the sleepers to them?

or

c) a hybrid of a) and b) where I remove brickwork in the middle and at the ends to allow me to sink some posts that i fix the sleepers to. But would this remove the integrity of the wall and end up with remaining sections putting excessive pressure on the sleepers?

Im leaning towards b) , but not looking forwards to the labouring/disposal involved in dismantling the entire wall. If a) can be made structurally sound then it would be my preferred option. c) might be the worst of both worlds...

And thoughts gratefully received. I'll put up some pictures tomorrow when its not dark...

Sponsored Links
Be careful fixing sleepers to a dwarf wall like that, any stress could crack the mortar and damage the wall. I would leave it free of the wall and lay it flat rather than on its side, it will be more secure like that. The bolt holes in concrete spurs might nor line up with the sleepers whichever way you lay them, and as they contain rebar to reinforce the concrete you cannot effectively drill new holes. For the outlay on sleepers it might be cheaper to build a conventional wooden fence; or screen the - presumably unsightly - wall with plants.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back