Sleeper wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I am looking to replace an old, half finished, brick (2 types- yuk!) retaining wall with a hardwood sleepers. it will be 15.5m in length and 80cm (4 sleeper high) and will concrete in sleepers as posts. However, have no idea whether to get rid of the brick wall... it is horrible, and I could cover it with sleepers, but would then eat into my lawn. Any advice,and if best to remove and replace , how is it best to remove it?
Thanks!
A rank amateur

Sponsored Links
If removing the wall you might get some earth spilling forward, and would also have to dig some out to create space to work on your sleeper wall and support holes. You'd need to 'park' all that soil (presumably on your lawn for the duration - lay a tarpaulin first if so). The you have the demolition (sledgehammer) and bricks to dispose of (skip hire?). Call me lazy, but I'd forsake the 10 inches of lawn and build my sleeper wall against the existing brick wall - wouldn't even need upright posts. Also because it wont be load-bearing you could get more creative on your design - cut sleepers length-way, use only half as many and the sleeper wall can be half as deep front to back ;)

Music to my ears!! thanks Halitosis - had a deeper look and it would be a right pain to get rid of it... ill still have to put the posts in as wall only covers half of the back garden...crazy previous owners. ;/ pic below.

Attachments

• IMG_20190126_161123_resized_20190127_013722354.jpg
    IMG_20190126_161123_resized_20190127_013722354.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 184
Sponsored Links
If the wall is sound, then just tile over the front of it with some brick slips. Afternoon's job and will look indistinguishable from the real thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back