Fixing Sleepers

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much.

As my drill bit is about 210mm long I suppose I should drill through the first sleeper, the drill bit will then mark where I'm supposed to drill for the 2nd sleeper?

I suppose I should also use the odd stake along the back also?

Is that right?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

Raised bed. So I will go for the posts and screw into them from the front of the sleeper..

The sleepers are 2400 long, so I suppose a post every 2400 and put the sleepers down like you would bricks (overlapping)?

I agree that it might be best to use short vertical posts fitted behind the sleepers to support them, but if these posts are wooden they will need to be to be substantial and soaked in preservative. You might be better off using heavyweight angle iron and concreting this into the ground about 3-500mm. Drill holes in the iron prior to concreting and then bolt through to your sleepers using M10 roofing bolts or similar. Don't underestimate the pressure of wet soil in the winter trying to push your sleepers out of line!
Best to use two posts per sleeper, maybe 400mm in from each end. Don't put the posts right at the ends of the sleepers as the wood may be soft there and the bolts might pull out
On the plus side, if the soil where you are placing your sleepers is well compacted first then I don't think there'll be any need for a concrete foundation under them.
Hope this helps.

Raised bed. So I will go for the posts and screw into them from the front of the sleeper..

The sleepers are 2400 long, so I suppose a post every 2400 and put the sleepers down like you would bricks (overlapping)?

Yep that's right but you want to put a post at either end and one in the middle too because when you stagger the joints like brick bond the end of the next course will be mid span on the one below.

You can use off cuts of sleeper instead of posts if you like. for 400mm high you don't need to go crazy, a foot in the ground will be plenty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back