fixing soakers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

i'm going to attempt to re-do the flashing on this part of my roof. I've done a bit of research and understand the basic of what i have to do from the link below.

http://www.leadsheetassociation.org.uk/html/1401.html

My question is who do i fix the soakers, what holds them in place? And do they go over or under the slates. On the above link it says to fold lead under the top of the slates but i'm guessing that this won't be possible as the slates are already down and this probably refers to when your laying the slates at the same time as doing the flashing?

Also, do i need to do any lead work under the coping stone where it meets the wall?

Here are some pics, thanks for any help.

[/url]

Sponsored Links
soakers have a bend at the top so that they 'hook' onto the tile.

you lay a tile then lay a soaker onto the top of that tile. then another tile and another soaker and so on.

the lead is dressed onto the the final course and the coping mortar bedded on top.

Thanks, but how do i lay down soakers if the tiles are already down? is there no way to do it without taking the tiles off?

you could try and fit an angled cover flashing over the lot.

this would still mean removing the coping and one of the ridge tiles, in order to form a saddle.

Sponsored Links
Cheers noseal, will probably remove the tiles and do it that way, I think it looks neater than the cover flashing.

Can you point me towards any information on how to make a saddle, don't have a clue how i would do that.

TonyB.(Ex Slater & Tiler/College lecturer/Chartered Surveyor)
I will advise simply(soaker size = gauge of the slate + lap).Hi-Going up an abutment as you are the first soaker goes on top of the under eave slate.This can be acheived by slotting the soaker up under the first course of slates.(without disturbing the roof)and you may tack this to the wall through a joint if possible. cover flashing to cover well. Normally soakers are turned over the roof batten to the top of the slate after a slate or cut is laid to the abutment.sometimes the soaker is tacked on however the fixing of the next slate should find its way to hold this in any event,with the lap of the slates which are double lapped sufficiently covering this by 75mm.Looking at this I would lift the cover flashings very carefully not to disturb any pointing/and slot the soakers upwards to wall fix.The actual
size you require is the measurement between showing slate ie. 8 inches + 3 and a quarter inches...Code 3 lead is ok for slate soakers and is cheaper than buying code 4.Looking at this you have not got any more than 50mm upstand. use 150mm code 3 and bend make soakers properly over something like a scaffold board which has the depth to give a good clean line which is easier to slot upwards.Good luck.

Coping Stone-soaker.(Redtonybbb) Hi-just mitre the top soaker to the same line as the bottom of the coping.The cover flashing is already under the coping stone so all you have to do is send the soaker up as tight to this as possible.-good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back