Fixing this window frame and sill.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed the window trim and sill during decorating, we had a major draft coming through. All around the window was just gaps, no proper insulation.

So a lot of wall and sill just crumbled away.

What is best method to fix? I expanded foam around the window with low expansion foam.

Was thinking mortar to level of the sill then fit a new window sill.

Then square of the top and sides with plasterboard.
20230215_191956.jpg

Sponsored Links
Some sort of solid groundwork which you can ideally screw through into the framing or masonry to hold the timber might be a better way to support the window board (window sills are on the outside of the building)

Some sort of solid groundwork which you can ideally screw through into the framing or masonry to hold the timber might be a better way to support the window board (window sills are on the outside of the building)

Always been 'sills' for inside and out with anyone i ever talked to about windows. I guess the term is wrong but there you go...

I've been booking it for more than a few decades as a chippy. It's always been called a window board in our parlance. It's a bit like the terminogy for what many people call light bulbs (talk to anyone in lighting and they will tell you all about that...)

Sponsored Links
Has the use of expanding foam become ubiquitous in the trade?
I ask because whenever i see something like this it's invariably the first answer given to any question.
Doesn't plaster allow the wall to breathe more easily and give a better quality finish?

Has the use of expanding foam become ubiquitous in the trade?
I ask because whenever i see something like this it's invariably the first answer given to any question.
Doesn't plaster allow the wall to breathe more easily and give a better quality finish?

No, foam is a better insulator inbetween the window and the wall. Plaster is just the 'finish' used afterwards.

No, foam is a better insulator inbetween the window and the wall. Plaster is just the 'finish' used afterwards.
I insisted the ragged edge of brickwork beside the window was plastered properly rather than 'foamed' since the shower screen was to be screwed into that edge and was concerned it wouldn't take the weight: was i being picky?

I insisted the ragged edge of brickwork beside the window was plastered properly rather than 'foamed' since the shower screen was to be screwed into that edge and was concerned it wouldn't take the weight: was i being picky?

The 'foam' is for insulation around windows and doors. It stops cold spots etc....

Then, the brickwork is plastered, hiding the foam. Standard practice.

I mixed up some mortar yesterday and tried my best to make a base for a window board.

Found out the middle of the wall has a low spot, so need to get that level later.

I think it came out ok, once i bond and skim the walk hopefully it will be all come together.
20230226_110011.jpg
20230226_110033.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back