Fixing through tile into plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a utensil rack/hooks that I want to fit above the hob under the extractor which fixes via 2 screws. The walls are dry lined with minimal gap between board and blocks (maybe 1/2 inch) then tiled. What is the best method of fixing this rack to the wall? Can i use standard wall plugs as the plasterboard ones won't cut in to the tiles to hold?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
You may want to consider toggle fixings:

p4075803_x.jpg

or plasterboard fixings

p1711307_x.jpg

Scrit

The toggle fixings wont work (I have tried them in the past) as the gap behind the board is never big enough to pass the fastening through :mad:

I'll have a look in to the others and see if they are 'shallow' enough to get away with. In past I have used the self drilling, tappnig type fastenings and cut off the tip once the plasterboard is penetrated, but obviously the tiles will prove more resistant than plasterboard..

Thanks

Sounds like your boards are "dot-and-dabbed" (i.e. fixed to the wall an "blobs" of plasterboard adhesive). The second type will possibly work, although you will need to drill into the wall behind the void. I was trying to avoid any suggestions such as using Redidrivas (your "self-tapping" fixings) which could either mark or which would expand outwards possibly cracking the tiles. Another possibility might be to drill slightl;y oversize and deep then glue-in the old-fashioned fibre Rawlplugs, which you can still get

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Standard wall plugs are fine for this application - I've done hundreds without any problems. Just tap the plug into the hole so it's just below the surface of the tile using a screw and fix your utensil rack. The tiles will not crack if you drill the hole the correct size for the plug (5.5mm or 6mm for red plug, 7mm for brown) and don't overtighten the screws. ;)

personally I would use a masonry drill, long enough to drill at least one inch into the block wall, then use normal plugs. push the plug into the hole by hand , then push the plug into the block wall with the screw (tap it in with a hammer) then screw the screw into the plug.
I know the above makes no sense at all, but I've done it a million times and it's dead easy really. good luck

Makes perfect sense iaith, and if there's only a 1/2" void behind the board then it might be the way to go. ;) Just be extra careful not to overtighten the screws if you do this though as it WILL crack the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back