Fixing timber joists to shipping container roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to fit a shallow incline roof onto my shipping container worshop. I am going to fit joists about every foot spacing going back to the back edge from the front. These will be gradually reducing thickness to achieve the sIlope . I need to fix these to the roof and had thought of using heavy duty toggle bolts. Basically drill holes on the raised up ribs of the container lined up with holes in the joists push a toggle bolt through and tighten up. Should this be a good method ?
Although the container roof itself would be covered by the new sloped roof I was going to put a rubber washer between the joist and container to for a good deal around hole.
If you don't think this is a good idea can you advise me of better method please
By the way I would use toggle bolts because the container is lined inside and therefore the holes in roof would in effect be blind.
Thanks
Screenshot_20220606-232548~2.png

Sponsored Links
Is the roof completely flat? Is it waterproof? What happens when it rains, does the water run off?

Any pictures?

Andy

Thanks for your replies. The roof is flat but, as mentioned, with raised up ribs. It seems waterproof but is definitely showing signs of rust and wear hence the need to fit the roof to prevent future leaking.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back