Moving stud wall under roof joist joint...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning to rearrange the walls in my 2 bed semi to allow for another bedroom. To do this effectively I need to move a stud wall that runs across the roof joists, by about 300mm. I've been up in the loft and there's a joint in the roof joists that sits on the stud wall. When i move the wall, that joint isn't going to be supported by it any more.

im wondering if I can fit some bolts through the joists where they over lap, and then fit some timbers running across them like a strong back to tie them all together (maybe board over them all then for storage in the loft) there's a couple of timbers running that way already under neath the pearlings (photo number 2) . would this be sufficient?

They're only 3x2 timbers and i don't think they really hold much weight do they? Aren't they more to stop the roof spreading and for the ceiling to be fixed to?

I Just want to make sure i dont bring the house down! Im moving nearly every wall upstairs but this is the only one that doesn't run parallel with the roof joists, and has a brick wall underneath it.

thank you for any advice

Attachments

• joists.jpg
    joists.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
Is the wall below the strongback and prop? It looks like a hipped purlin roof and that could have a reasonable amount of load on it.

Assuming the load bearing wall is only carrying the ceiling joists... You need to check the ceiling joists are suitable for the new span.

Assuming it's OK, then the plan of bolting them together would probably work - but I would use toothed timber connectors to prevent any movement.

Ceiling joists don't carry much load until someone steps on them. So they want to comply with the standards.

Thank you for your response

It Is a hipped purlin roof yes... I'm not sure if that stud wall is the strongback aswell... I just assumed it was there to support the joists where they connect.
In terms of checking the new span, how would I go about that? It's only 300mm different if I moved the wall so I was hoping it wouldn't effect that too much. It's more the fact that one of the joists will only be connected to the joist rather than having a wall underneath that was causing me concern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back