Fixing timber to metal gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building some gates, with 40mm square box section frames. I'm going to fix tapered timber fence panels to it. (19mm>6mm)

What are the best self tapping screws for this please. I want to avoid screws that break off when tightening.

Are screwfix self tapping screws ok?

Sponsored Links
Use the right pilot hole and they will not snap.
The box might be 40mm square but what is the thickness of the wall?

Thought so, a good self tapping screw might be fine but I would pilot anyway.

Sponsored Links
I've bought some screws from Screwfix. Security Starpin 8x1.

They need special bit with a hole in the centre. I don't really want to buy a whole bit set, so does anyone know the size of this particular bit?

Why on earth have you bought "security" type screws?
Afraid someone is going to steal the timber?

Did screwfix not advise on the bit needed?

Why on earth have you bought "security" type screws?
Afraid someone is going to steal the timber?

Did screwfix not advise on the bit needed?

Ha ha!

I didn't notice they had pins in the centre, it's the first time I've seen them, and that wasn't until I put my glasses on at home.

Actually they are security gates, so they are a good idea, or someone could walk through the gates.

When I bought the steel, one of the workers gave me a demo of these screws, and they are excellent and no separate drilling.

I chose security Torx screws, I think they look a bit better??.

A bit of a farce really. It was late when I went to screwfix, and they didn't have much of a selection, so I made a quick choice, then had to order the special bit's from Amazon, which didn't have the special hole (my fault), so had to order some more today. Sore subject.

Thanks JJ.

You might be right, and I will need to add a timber bar across the centre, for this reason.

The gate is folding and in total spans 6Mtr, and as I didn't know how the gate posts would be able to stand the weight, I chose to make it as light as possible.

Easier to line the frame with timber and just nail to that.

Foxhole,

The self tapping screws didn't work, even with a large pilot hole. Tomorrow, I'm lining the frame with timber as you suggest.

Cheers, Camerart.

These gates sound heavy may I suggest you could add a jockey wheel to it they will take the weight off the hinges

You are correct, I've been trying to keep the weight down. I bought a rail for jockey wheels, but find I might get away with none. I'm not sure just how much weight hinges will take.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back