Fixing to conservatory ridge beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get a solid fixing to the ridge of my conservatory to hang a projector . Not sure if there is anything available to do this, or if I need to construct something :D The projector and mount is about 3.5kg, and I'll need an extra bit of something to drop it about 90cm which might add what, another 1kg (this bit still TBD depending what kind of fixing to the beam I can make)

The beam is aluminium I believe, and 15cm wide. The top of the section is flat and cannot be screwed into, but it does have what I can only describe as wings on either side that the plastic covering clips to and have some space above them. These wings are about 4cm wide but I'm not sure how easy it would be to screw into those.

under.jpg

side.jpg

I was wondering if there was something available that I could clamp around the wings. I've tried to draw a simplified cross section of the beam, so something could grip along the whole of the wing, or dig into the channel.

construction.png

Or perhaps I could bolt a plate in from the inside that would be hidden underneath the plastic cover?

Or another thought that just crossed my mind, I could drop 4 threaded bars from 4 holes in the wings - would make for easy adjustment?

Sponsored Links
Dave
Why, with regards to "The top of the section is flat and cannot be screwed into"?

I ask as I would get a square of ply, say 11cm by 11cm square.
Drill four holes into this wood.
Get some metal self tapping screws.
Use wood as template to drill some holes slightly smaller than screws into flat area of metal.
Screw this wood to metal using the self tapping screws.
Paint black or brown.

If you wanted you could then screw another layer of ply (perhaps 10cm by 15cm to hide the metal) to the first layer of ply so you have say 2 x 18mm = 36mm thick wood, which would be perfect to securely screw the projector mount to using 30mm wood screws.

Or pull plastic cover over the wood and screw though the plastic cover into the wood to have a hidden effect.

( I would use ply over say chipboard as easier and more square to screw into. A pine plank would also work.

SFK

Dave
Why, with regards to "The top of the section is flat and cannot be screwed into"?

I didnt want to drill into that top flat part for fear of going through to the outside or otherwise damaging what is on the other side that I cannot really see. Otherwise, I like the idea :)

Sponsored Links
Well I would use Slef taping screws that are say only 10mm longer than wood thickness so that will not go outside.

Or, Wider wood , say 15cm.
And drill and screw through wings.
With fingers between wings and roof to make sure screws are not too long and go through roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back