Fixing wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just a quick one.

I am fixing an 8"x2" wall plate to my wall for a mono pitch side extension.

I'm using 100mm thunder bolts and timber connectors (BC wants these). Fixed every 500mm off centres.

How important is it to make sure the bolts hit the bricks rather than mortar joints AND what would be the nearest I can fix them to edge of timber?

I'm trying to line up the joist and haven't got much to play with.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
i figure you intend to fix a lean-to roof rafter ledger to an abutting wall.
after fixing the ledger level with a bolt at each end, you can drill through the ledger into the brickwork with the ledger in place.
fix your bolts in each rafter bay @centres of 400mm.
fix into brick not beds or perps.

Thanks, I was going to stagger the bolts. In order for me to do this I would need to drill about 2" from the edge of the timber.

You also suggest 400mm centres for the rafters?

Thanks for the advice

staggering fixings is good practice but no need in a ledger thats not taking much downward pressure.
typical practice is to centre all timber framing centres eg. rafters & studs on 400mm.

Sponsored Links
staggering fixings is good practice but no need in a ledger thats not taking much downward pressure.
typical practice is to centre all timber framing centres eg. rafters & studs on 400mm.

Brilliant,

Really appreciate the advice.

Thanks again

You don't need to use such a massive piece of timber, 4x2 will do. But for wide timber sections staggered fixings will stop the timber trying to twist as it dries and acclimatises.

Fixings need to be into brick, and then into brick not the frogs.

As for using timber connectors that's just a WTF? moment.

You don't need to use such a massive piece of timber, 4x2 will do. But for wide timber sections staggered fixings will stop the timber trying to twist as it dries and acclimatises.

Fixings need to be into brick, and then into brick not the frogs.

As for using timber connectors that's just a WTF? moment.

I had 8x2 left over and would only go to waste otherwise. Might as well use it.

I'll stagger the bolts trying to get them into 2 different courses. I will check which way the frogs are as there is a section of wall exposed elsewhere.

BCO requested connectors, truss clips and 2 birsdmouth cuts. I don't mind as I'm not a chippy and it will be more solid and peace of mind for me.

With regards to the bolt placement, could I fix bolt within a couple of inches of timber edge? It would enable me to comfortably get the fixing into brick.

Cheers

Divide the depth into thirds, and that's your bolt lines

Your BCO is clueless. Truss clips have no lateral restraint (ie the rafter could slide forward). The rafters should have a seat cut and be spiked, that's it.

I can't think for the life of me what timber connectors would be for in this situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back