Fixing wood 4 x 2 to Asphalt Floor - waterproof joint - how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a semi basement flat where water forces its' way in between the floor and wall in the rear external corner when we have heavy rain and the water table rises.

I have installed a sump with pump about 3 feet from the external wall, (outside the property), which seems to do most of the job, but a relatively small amount of water still gets in.

I cant afford to do any of the professional jobs which might solve this, and want to build a box in the corner where the water seeps in, to contain the water and pump it away using a bilge pump, (used on boats), with a 12v transformer, to pump it away. Any residue would then seep away when the water table falls.

I'm planning to use 4 x 2 secured to the asphalt floor and plastered wall to form the base of the box, and my original idea was to secure the wood to the asphalt using epoxy resin, (used on boats regularly). Then I would line the joint between the wood and the floor with fibreglass matt.

Whilst this would definitely work on a boat, I could do with knowing if epoxy resin will bond wood to asphalt, or do i need to use something like Evostik Wet Grab, or somthing else.

Another thought to secure the wood to the floor, in addition to the bonding, would be to use screw/wall anchor things with some sealant or epoxy in the holes before fixing.

Any suggestions, either confirming my ideas, or modifying them, would be most welcomed.

The best professional solution offered would be to provide drains around the internal walls, into a sump with pump, but this has been quoted at about £8k - I might be able to do this at a later date, but not now.

Many Thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
Richard10002 said:
Fixing wood 4 x 2 to Asphalt Floor - waterproof joint - how?.................Any suggestions, either confirming my ideas, or modifying them, would be most welcomed.

wood will rot

breezer said:
Richard10002 said:
Fixing wood 4 x 2 to Asphalt Floor - waterproof joint - how?.................Any suggestions, either confirming my ideas, or modifying them, would be most welcomed.

wood will rot

Thanks for that - I am hoping that the wood will be protected from the water by either the bonding, or the fibreglass, or whatever is suggested.

Sponsored Links
Could you not use a row of engineer bricks with dpc & 4"x2" wallplate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back