Fixings for shelves on hollow block walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

I drilled a few holes this weekend for a shelf to go in my daughters room, and I'm a bit confused as the the best wall fixing to use. I thought the walls were plasterboard on solid concrete blocks, so I was going to use a nylon fixing long enough to go well past the plasterboard and a screw to suit. However, on drilling the holes, I suspect the blocks may be hollow, as the drill punched through in a few locations. I'm not sure of the exact thickness of the solid concrete where I have drilled through.

I'm not sure what fixings to use now. I want to make sure the shelf is not likely to fall down. It is a 2 metre long, by 250mm wide contiboard (the white coated chipboard type stuff) held up using 4 equispaced steel brackets (3 holes per bracket). The shelf will not ever have anything other than teddybears, toys etc on, so no heavy items.

Can anyone suggest the sort of fixings I need to be looking at using? And, are there any universal fixings that are okay to use in the holes that felt like solid concrete block all the way in, and the ones that felt hollow?

The blocks are not the aerated concrete type, they seem to be like fine gravel held together with concrete.

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
last time I had that problem I used HILTI fixings a combination of perforated plastic plug and resin to inject or change design of shelf to a box style unit with battens full length that will give a greater range of fixing options ,depending on the type of block work it could be possible to get fixings at the edges using a combination of plugs and resin, a bit of trial and error

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back