fixing into hollow brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. What's the best way to make fixings into hollow bricks (the ones like air bricks)? I have a couple of wall brackets to put up to hold guitars - so not a huge weight but not something I would like to see fail. Some people suggest drilling then filling the hole with gripfill, putting in a wall plug, waiting for it to dry, then screwing in like normal. Does that work? Or is there a better method?
Ta!

Sponsored Links
Use the correct screw in plugs for the blocks and it will be fine.You need the spiral plugs with wings, prevent the plug rotating, other plugs just pull out.

Thanks. I am not sure what you mean by spiral plugs. The only spiral things I can seem to find in the likes of Screwfix are fixings for plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
They certainly look like airbricks - or at least the ones I saw coming out of next door when some internal walls were being taken down looked like them. Whether that's what they actually are, I don't know. An electrician complained about them when fitting some sockets elsewhere on the same wall (but to be fair to the bricks, he was useless). I think he referred to them as honeycomb bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back