Fixings for studwork and heavy plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at fixing 50x50mm vertical battens at 400mm centres onto a party wall (for noise reduction), but I'm not sure which fixings I should use or the spacings between the fixings.

It's a 1930's semi, single brick party wall with sand/cement render and plaster (which is old), and given that I'll be hanging 2 layers of 15mm plasterboard I'll need to fix directly into the brickwork.

Should I use something like hammer fixings or frame fixings like the kind of fitting windows and doors?

Alternatively, if I built a seperate stud wall using 3x2 is it still possible to get a sturdy result if I fixed it to the adjacent walls, floorboard and ceiling with bracings/noggins or do I just need 1 run of noggins across the middle?

I know a totally seperate wall is the better option, just trying to minimise the space loss :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about trying dot and dabbing some insulated plasterboard to the party wall? At least that way space loss would be at a minimum. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Alternatively, if I built a seperate stud wall using 3x2 is it still possible to get a sturdy result if I fixed it to the adjacent walls, floorboard and ceiling with bracings/noggins or do I just need 1 run of noggins across the middle?

That one.
Technically you could do it in (proper) 2x2 (actual 50mm square timber. Fix it top and bottom only using floor and ceiling plate, 2 set of noggins, double 12mm PB should be rigid enough to keep it from going anywhere.
Set it an inch from the wall, completely fill the void with 75mm rockwool slabs. Acoustic caulk the perimeter.
a compromise sure, but you'd only lose 4" room space.

JJ's idea is sound, but not so soundproof. The foam insulation tends to reverberate instead of absorb.

Are you planning on removing the existing plaster?

I've read that GypLyner channel can be cemented to masonry (18mm deep). Attach horizontal resilient bar (16mm deep). Line cavity with 25mm acoustic mineral wool. Attach 2 layers of 12.5mm SoundBloc plasterboard staggered 600mm to support joins. Seal edges with acoustic sealant.

I'd be worried that attaching plasterboard to studs fixed to party wall isn't going to reduce noise much.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the help guys, lots to take in here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back