fixings for upvc frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in the past whenever i have put in upvc frames i have used fischer fixings normally 10x120mm but then i discovered masonary screws and think that these are much better and quicker, however i have recently learnt that many fitters are using expanding foam, does anybody know whether the latter method is better than say masonary screws and how would i know how much to put in too, 1, get a good all round bond but not actually distort the frame? :D

Sponsored Links
chirpychippy said:
however i have recently learnt that many fitters are using expanding foam, does anybody know whether the latter method is better than say masonary screws and how would i know how much to put in too, 1, get a good all round bond but not actually distort the frame? :D
I personnally will never do it this way because I can't see how if you have a dusty wall for the foam to bond to the wall, I think it's very risky and its cutting corner, best to use fischer screws & foam so you can sleep at night ;)

I think i will stick to the method i am used to, fischers and foam as you suggest, thank you

chirpychippy said:
I think i will stick to the method i am used to, fischers and foam as you suggest, thank you
Good idea: if you’re doing it professionally & I was one of your customers, I certainly wouldn't like the idea of my windows being held in place just by expanding foam; doesn’t BC or FENSA have recommendations & minimum standards for frame fixings!

Sponsored Links
I wonder how FENSA suggest you fix a traditional sash window ?

Amo screws from winzer worth and foam if the gaps are big.

FENSA in my mind is a complete waste of time, a company can get registered but what the fitters do on site is a completely different story.

I have a news letter from FENSA that expresses their concern that almost half the installation carried out that they inspected failed!

I never got registered, (did more conservatories than windows) just did the jobs on a building notice and got the BCO to check them when done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back