How to Install uPVC Double Glazed windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

Bit of a query. I want to replace the old wooden windows and replace for upvc.

Have seen upvc windows installed in terraced houses where batons are screwed to the masonary pillars and windows screwed into the batons.

Now in a semi, there is no cavity in my wall. Does the window get screwed into the brickwork directly or do I have to fix batons and screw the windows to the batons?

If I screw batons down, how do I then hide the baton in the overall finish?

Sponsored Links
What your describing sounds wrong so let me just explain how we used to fit replacement windows uPVC or otherwise.
The window slaps must be checked to see if there is a check built into them, this will determine (whether there is or not) the overall size of replacements. I've never used timber although for the inexperienced they might help in getting placement right if the slaps don't have a check, in any case, I would surmise these would be removed after fitting...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
No batons required, screw straight into the brickwork, the terrace houses you refer to is a box sash type window where you'll find when they are taken out only the pillars remain. Fixing batons enables the fitter to get a good fixing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back