Fixings- wooden column to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in need of finding some fixings to secure a 150mm square wooden column to a block wall.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, at the top of the column above I want to join it to a wooden beam, I've had some steel plates made up with 8mm pre drilled holes, I'm looking for some fixings for that too if possible.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Concrete, solid block, 2 skin and no cavity. Pretty dam hard from 1930.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, that's put me on the right path.

I've got some 180mm m8 coach bolts to do the connection between the column head and beam, using the steel plates on each side.

I was a bit stuck on finding a fitting to go through the 150mm sq column and into the blockwork, so thanks.

Timber lengths- columns are 2.8m length, they go through the suspended floor to block pillars below on the natural ground. Beam is 4.5m length and is 200mm depth X 150 width.

Structure is to replace a stud wall which does provide some stiffness to the floor upstairs (joists span over the stud wall and are fixed in outer walls, but are only 6 inch deep). The existing stud wall loads the ground floor suspended floor, and I want to load the ground instead; hence the small block pillars in the sub floor. I was a bit worried if I just take away the stud wall the floor upstairs will have excessive deflection. Probably way over the top but should do the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back