Flaking brick walls

Not sure about that - how would you know when the wall is at its 'driest'?

Clearly the local planning department expects you to either keep, or maintain with, materials which are not fit for purpose, just for the sake of 'appearance'. If that's the case, ask them if they would like to contribute to the cost of re-capping the walls with the same bricks, on a regular basis after each winter.

Sponsored Links
Well it's drier in the summer after 2 weeks of no rain than it is after a month of constant downpours :)

I guess I'm thinking if you put a slightly damp shirt in a sealed bag and throw it in the bath, you're trapping in some moisture but overall keeping it drier than it would have been!

I can see such paint-on products exist but I assume the point of those is you put them on the outside of your house, and trapped moisture can still slowly escape into the house - we had problems with a granite-walled house where the walls were professionally treated and water just kept coming through on the inside for years!

The issue with planners is both that we live in a conservation area, AND the housing management company have rules. To be honest one could probably do what they wanted, but if I change my wall it will be the only one on the street to look different which would irritate ME nevermind the council! Maybe I can find materials which are better but very close in appearance.

if I change my wall it will be the only one on the street to look different which would irritate ME nevermind the council!.
Strange how people prefer to live in an environment where everything looks the same, rather than in one full of differences, contrasts, individuality.

Individuality is good when it's deliberate. If you have a wall which is designed to be uniform along its length as a single unit, having one little bit a different look spoils the whole thing.

You wouldn't grow a lawn and put different types of grass in each quarter, it looks better when it's the same.

Sponsored Links
Individuality is good when it's deliberate. If you have a wall which is designed to be uniform along its length as a single unit, having one little bit a different look spoils the whole thing.
True - I was thinking of a set of individual walls.

You wouldn't grow a lawn and put different types of grass in each quarter, it looks better when it's the same.
Actually, why not?

Maybe not different quarters, but if you were growing from seed it might be quite nice to plant in a pattern of different shades. This has been done with a roller mower in traditional striped-lawn fashion, but shows what 2 different shades of grass could look like.

mikelee1web_2711352c.jpg

Maybe not different quarters, but if you were growing from seed it might be quite nice to plant in a pattern of different shades. This has been done with a roller mower in traditional striped-lawn fashion, but shows what 2 different shades of grass could look like.

mikelee1web_2711352c.jpg
... that or the bloke was pi55ed when he mowed it :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back