Flaking plaster on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the easiest and cheapest way to repair plaster which is flaking off of plasterboard?

This ceiling was boarded and plastered 3 years ago. I've just gone to prime the walls and ceiling before painting for the first time and whilst trying to clear any dust/cobwebs etc., a small chunk of plaster came off very easily (too easily, I'm concerned that the junctions between the boards on the ceiling will be weak areas where the plaster will also come off)

Is it best to take entire layer of plaster off, leaving bare boards which I then prime and paint?

Or can I apply some kind of filler and then prime and paint etc?

Please: No rude remarks - I am useless at this and my OH is no longer around to consult or bully into doing it!

Thanks in advance - photo attached to my album

Sponsored Links
is it a loft above, or a floor? Or a loft conversion?

Why did it need to be replastered?

is it a loft above, or a floor? Or a loft conversion?

Why did it need to be replastered?

Hi John

It's a ground floor ceiling - above is second floor (bedroom)

It was boarded over original ceiling as it was full of cracks (I should make clear that this is an old house in Spain) and then plastered over

No problems since it was done and I've given it plenty of time to dry out (over 3 years!)

It flaked away very easily whilst I was removing dust/cobwebs etc.

'mmmm, don't know. It seemed to me that it might be coming off because the floor above is flexing, either something too heavy on it, or thin timbers.

If it was an old ceiling in UK, I would suspect it was lath and plaster, and sagging, and pushing down the new plasterboard. Does it look flat and level?

Sponsored Links
Ceiling looks level enough to me

Do you think I could "patch" it with some kind of filler?

I really don't want to start scraping the layer of plaster off the whole ceiling

Just want to paint walls and ceiling and now this has flaked off, any paint I apply will draw attention to it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back