Flaky outside wall paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The gable end wall above the garage which faces east,has started to peel,when the better weather comes again I'll get some scaffold up and obviously scrape the loose paint off,do i need to seal the wall with anything before repainting.

Sponsored Links
Is the wall built of stone, brick, or what? Is it rendered, whitewashed, masonry painted? More information, please!

enyam,

In situations when a decorator will offer advice without being able to view the works beforehand, it is imperative that he or she both knows what surface/substrate they are dealing with. So be prepared to answer a few questions prior to you undertaking a repaint.

Dec

Sorry fella's should have said rendered with masonry paint,I last painted it about 5 to 10 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Scrape of the loose stuff and give it a couple of quick coats with a brand name paint. Just like you did last time.

So, it was you who applied the masonry paint, did you apply it to bare render, if so did you thin your first coat with around 10% water. I assume that the system was water based and not the more problematic pliolite( solvent borne) paints.

Dec

So, it was you who applied the masonry paint, did you apply it to bare render,
Dec

No it was originally painted by the builders back in 1987,I have painted the house since about four/five times and this is the only wall that is peeling.As I say the wall is east facing and our prevailing wind down here is a westerly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back