Flamingo eating thermocouples

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Speaking as a householder:

I have a Potty Flamingo 50.

This morning it was not running. We had strong wind and rain last night, and very occasionally this can blow the pilot out - the flue is exposed to the prevailing wind.

I tried to relight it, but on releasing the override button the flame goes out.

This usually means the thermocouple wants replacing.

On looking at my service record I see it last had a new thermocouple 13/3/06, and before that 20/12/05; before that 29/5/2000; 30/3/99; 11/96; 1/94 (I keep the maintenance log beside the boiler).

I wonder if the shortening life might indicate poor quality thermocouples; or if maybe the electric valve that the thermocouple operates could be needing more voltage as it gets older?

I have BG coming to mend it this afternoon under a service contract so I am more interested in the convenience of avoiding future faults than cost to fix.

Sponsored Links
There are several aspects which only very experienced CORGIs seem to know about the pilot.

If the BG man does not test the voltages with a meter then he is not one of the above!

There is a pilot flame size adjustment on the gas valve. The larger the flame the shorter the TC life but the less it gets blown out!

Maybe your flue is not in the best location if it keeps getting blown out?

Tony

True about the location (it is also a metre from the kitchen back window).

When I eventually buy a condensor I think I will have to dig into the piggy bank and have it on the side wall, not facing the wind, and not blowing steam past the windows.

As opposed to it being t/couple it is probably the power pack in the gas valve on it`s way out... As the thermocouple wears slightly the tiny voltage drop allows the valve to drop out...New gas valve should solve problem.. covered by your 3 star agreement and he should have one on the van. BG engineers do not carry as standard the attachment for measuring t/couple voltages so doubt he will check this.

Sponsored Links
how do you test thermocouple voltages and what attachment do i need?

bster how did you get on with teh pipe cutter lol

He hadn't got a gas valve on the van, said the thermocouple was loose in its mounting, and somewhat eroded, fitted a new t/c and it's running again now.

I will keep a note of the suggs in cae it happen again soon.

Ta.

doyle - are you onabout the 10mm slice? - i 've told my local plumbcenter manager to get on the case! I will make my own if i have to, I've resorted to cutting 8 and 10mm pipe with ahacksaw and the bevelling the edges with 100 grit sand paper! - yes its quicker than a mini cutter :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back