Flash-bang with Multimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look inside your multimeter, you'll probably find a some MOV's. A low voltage MOV is often engaged when you select a resistance/continuity test to protect the meter (which equals a bang).

Well that may explain why the meter is fine, but please explain how that causes a 32a Mcb to trip and a cooker to meltdown. How does the protection of the meter equal a bang at the cooker and fuse board?

Thanks Banal

Sponsored Links
The MOV acts like a low resistance when it's junction breaks down due to high voltage, so the meter will essentially have acted as a short. However, the low current fuse on the meter would normally blow (usually 200-400mA).

Are you sure you didn't have the probes in the wrong holes or short the probe on something else (I presume you weren't using GS38 probes).

Ha haaa, Pinocchio, :LOL:

That's what i like to see, someone so cornered that he can make no attempt to answer the question :LOL: :LOL:

I've got u where i want u Pinocchio (and comrades), and i mean to press the advantage.

Answer please :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Banal said:
The MOV acts like a low resistance when it's junction breaks down due to high voltage, so the meter will essentially have acted as a short. However, the low current fuse on the meter would normally blow (usually 200-400mA).

Are you sure you didn't have the probes in the wrong holes or short the probe on something else (I presume you weren't using GS38 probes)

As i thought, it doesn't answer the question at all - if a live C-test is done w/o me causing a short and with the probes properly attached etc.. etc.. how could the problem be caused?

Stop trying to change the subject - the answer is 'it should not've caused the problem'

Say it :LOL: :LOL:

(How's that corner feel fellas???) :LOL:

The answer is purely and simply a continuity tester is not designed to be used to test live circuits.
There is the potential for it to go bang, only the design of the device limits the amount of energy dissipated in the device and therefore does not blow your hand off.

Could also be that it is a cheap multimeter and either isn't fused or has the MOV's on the wrong side of the fuse.

You and your meter caused the short by using it incorrectly as you have no idea what you are babbling on about and have not got the intelligence or correct knowledge to discuss the matter i see all of this as being a complete waste of time. I suspect you are trying to remove yourself from the gene pool and I am almost certain that it is not a bad idea. I cannot be bothered to confer with you any more, thinking back you grated on me enough with your inability to read the wiki or begin to understand how simple switches work in your other post.

I cannot be bothered to confer with you any more, thinking back you grated on me enough with your inability to read the wiki or begin to understand how simple switches work in your other post.

Notice how, now that Johnny realises that he is well and truly cornered, he pretends that the reason he is heroically running away, like a dog with its tail between its legs, is because of something i previously did and not because he has finally realised that i will not let him out of the trap.

(the trap that he and his acquaintances set for themselves by the way - the only way to maintain a lie is to tell more lies, and more lies to maintain those lies, and so on and so forth until eventually u run out of lies and ur trapped - there's a little reality lesson for you Pinocchio, Johnny, Rocket and co.).

I'm busy at the moment Johnny, so i don't have so much time to play, but until i get time to finish this up nicely, give us all a good laugh and try to explain how live C-Testing (w/o a short being accidentally caused) causes a cooker to melt down and a 32a fuse to blow. :LOL:

We'll enjoy watching u and ur comrades try to squirm out of answering that question :LOL:

When u've humbled urself u and ur Red Army buddies can admit that i was right and apologise :LOL: :LOL:

Right you complete and utter pen-fifteen. I'm 99% sure you are a troll, but as electrics are a subject close to me heart I shall invoke Hanlon's razor and respond to your baiting.

I have already told you this (several times) as have other people (several times):
When set to ohms/continuity (they are the same thing you idiot) a meter supplies a couple of volts to the circuit under test. As there are only a few volts involved, the internal resistance of the meter is very low in order that enough current can flow through the meter to give a reading.
When you idiotically connect a meter set to ohms across a mains potential, 240v divided by a low resistance = A LOT OF CURRENT. This is why the MCB tripped, and you have obviously caused a lot of current to flow through a device on the PCB that couldn't handle it.

So, for about the seventh time on this thread: That is why you fooked your cooker, you imbecile.

PS. Trolling is one thing, but the reason people (including me) continue to respond to you is NOT because you are an adept troll, but rather because we are so concerned about electrical safety. To play on people's safety concerns is pretty damn low.

LoveRocket out. Don't forget to hit the thanks button, Hib.

Sorry for the delay...
you are a f*****g t*at idiot.
You seem like an intelligent fellow.

Another common trolling tactic - provoke an argument, and then while u 'heroically' and self righteously 'try to restrain urself' while answering the question, get some apparently random goon to post a comment like that in an attempt to inflame the discussion and make it look as though u have support - how could all these people be wrong against only one? Only the best the best and brightest on this forum eh?

Dry ur crocodile dears Rockette, ur interested in health and safety the way Stalin was - between 60 and 100 million people were murdered, but he was happy as long as he was 'healthy and safe'.

My genuine intentions are obvious from my posts - i didn't try to hide my ignorance and asked honest questions (in the hope that i would be saved the effort of finding the answers myself), and hoping that i would be answered honestly - invoking 'Hanlon's razor' as u say, or more accurately - invoking the teachings of Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

U and ur cheerleaders on the other hand have demonstrated quite the opposite. I'm glad u answered the question as definitely as u did. Ur obviously just talking more nonsense however. As u well know, if the current were to increase that much the 200mA fuse in the meter would burn out long before the 32A MCB.
The truth is Rocker, u don't have a notion what happened, and u would have been much better saying what Spark123 said – “don't use the C-tester on live circuits and there will less likely be any problems”.

Any more than that and ur just talking to hear urself.

It's obvious that this thread has been nothing but a wind up - taking advantage of my ignorance and good will; at the expense of health and safety, oddly enough, for people who professes undying devotion to such.

And as Mike so kindly pointed out - this is not the first time a quarrel has been picked with me for no good reason.

While there was no risk (as the job was already done), Mike didn't know that when he advised that there was no problem with live c-testing - see his response - 'why haven't u isolated the appliance first?'

(Note - i will not repond to Rockers trolling on the issue of continuity/resistance tester as i have already answered it)

To argue that Mike thought i was testing with a voltmeter (as John seems to contend) is manifestly untrue for the undeniable reasons i gave earlier AND because in only the 4th response John1 said

"Doing a continuity test on a live appliance will upset your multimeter"
Now why say that if u thought I was using a voltmeter?

Then Mike himself says
"Continuity testers work by outputting a certain known voltage(probably quite low), when connected to something of a certain resistance, the current that then flows through the meter is used to calculate the resitance you wanted to find. If the thing that you connect to already has voltage present, the meter will give the wrong result."

And skipping lots of other stuff, we'll also include that Rocket said,
"However, you didn't, you dived in THINKING you knew what you were doing, and put an ohmmeter across 240VAC. You now have a fried control circuit on your oven and probably a broken multimeter."

To further prove the point (not that any further proof is required): directly after that John says
"Continuity is measured in ohms, this reading is to be done DEAD, with no power on, you are likely to seriously damage yourself or your meter"
(Notice also that John's warning is now considerably revised from his previous "Doing a continuity test on a live appliance will upset your multimeter".)

After all that Mike then says
" well, if it wasn't aliens...then it must have been some spurious chance happening that you have overlooked."

But 'Mike didn't know' - Hmmmm

Obviously if anyone tries to argue that Mike didn't know i was live continuity testing (not volt testing), that person is a bold faced liar.
Note also that Mike has never actually denied any of this. When I pointed out the contradiction, instead of making any attempt to explain – he immediately resorted to insults.

And the importance of all that is of course that it gave the fellas an excuse to pick a quarrel and avoid answering the question for as long as possible, as obviously i would point out that Mike and Rocko were completely contradicting eachother. This is common troll tactic, call black white and then claim that u haven't said anything absurd.

This is simply for the benefit of genuine people (however few they may be on this forum), so they can see the tactics employed here - even by some of the 'advisers' with many 1000s of posts to their names.

So those who claimed they could answer the question, cannot do so at all. Which is why when I asked Rocket to explain EXACTLY how the problem was caused (about 30 posts ago) he lived up to his name…. gone… at the first sign of having to actually give a straight answer.

Amusing also is the fact that Rockette explains all this as though it was a matter of course; as though anyone who couldn’t immediately provide this simple explanation must be blind. He thereby calls Mike, John, Spark123, Securespark, Sheds, Banal, and others, ‘idiots’ and ‘imbeciles’, because none of them can see this ‘obvious truth’ which such ‘amazing clarity’ as old Rocker.
Like I said – to maintain a lie u have to tell… that’s right – more lies. And as Sheds noted in his own (amusing) personal moment of interior clarity “liars aren’t noted for their morality”. Bit like saying “unpleasant people aren’t noted for being pleasant”, but anyway.

So Fellas - can u answer the question - 'how does live c-testing, w/o a short being caused, cause a cooker and 32amp fuse to blow?'

The answer? - it doesn't, the meter fuse will blow first. But when Rocket was under pressure he attempted to bluff his way through it. Rocket actually has no idea how, with no short, the cooker and fuse blow, one of the unfused probe tips blows, but the meter itself is fine.

And the reason i have wanted to understand this is because of health and safety - and recieved instead false information, lies and insults. Ur not really interested in H&S at all are u fellas?
An apology will undoubtedly be forthcoming.

Here’s a quote from an interesting book – “I (Jesus Christ) am the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End. Happy are those who will have washed their robes clean, so that they will have the right to feed on the tree of life and can come through the gates into the city. These others must stay outside: dogs, fortune tellers and fornicators, and murderers, and idolators, and everyone of false speech and false life”. – Apocalypse 22:13-15

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back