Flash, pop Philco

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, my Philco WD 1109 SE let out a loud pop and went dead shortly after putting it on a normal wash cycle. i changed the fuse in the plug and took the top and back off and again switched it on to a normal cycle. it 'popped' again and a flash came from the area to the right (your right as you look at the back of the machine) of the motor - approximately where the live wire connects to the outer drum. it doesn't seem to pop when the dryer is used (i've put another fuse in the plug).

if it would help anybody's diagnosis of this i did take a video clip of the back of the machine as it blew. any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
difficult to be accurate but from what you say it could be the tub heater.
this will have two wires attached to it.
switch off the machine.
disconnect the heater wires and make them safe by wrapping the in tape
BUT NOT TOGETHER. try your machine again hopefully it will work. if so then you need to install a new heater.

hi there, thanks for getting back so quickly! i isolated the two wires (though tbh i'm not completely sure that it's the heater - two blue wires connected to a small white plastic 'plug' in the back of the drum?) but once again there were sparks and a pop. any other ideas? or have i got the wrong wires?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

a follow on from my last post: i had indeed got the wrong wires :oops: but have now located the heating element and tried the machine with those wires isolated and everything seems fine! so thank's very much keith. two more things though, how do i remove the element and where could i get a replacement? many thanks.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ok, element removed :D.

please note 10a which is here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back