Flashing chase pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I’ve got 10m of chased out joint to fill in where I’ve chased my cover flashing in to the wall at the top of my lean to extension roof. I had planned to just use mortar, but seen my brother in laws builders seem to have used clear silicone, and there’s also lead mate etc.
Any obvious pros/cons to help me decide? Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Personally either mortar or the lead sealant, I wouldn't use clear.

I used lead sealant, looks good, especially if you use patination oil on the lead when you've finished.

Cheers. Concern with any tubed sealant is how many it would take to cover a 10m run, not sure but reckon it’s a fair few.

Depends how vicious you were cutting the chase out. Leadmate for me every time unless the chase is massive, mortar tends to crack with expansion/contraction of the lead & give you an annoying damp wall after a few years.

Sponsored Links
Cheers. Any idea, very approx, how far a tube of lead mate gets you then, for a chase no deeper than 15-20mm? Just so I can work out how much I’d need roughly

Lead mate is ok but is intended for use by unskilled people and for ease. Lead mate can sag with deeper joints and hot weather.

If you can point and there are no access problems then there is no reason not to do it properly with mortar

I used 2.5 tubes to do 6.3mtrs which made 37 spiders homeless.

IMG_7597.JPG

IMG_7598.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back