Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water is making it's way through into the room below, and although I can't get close enough (because I don't want to climb on that roof), it looks like the silicone (or whatever type of sealant they've used) has probably failed along that aluminium roof edge (under the sill). And when I can get that window open and lean out, that silicone will probably pull away with ease.

What is the best way to re-seal, am I best to remove all silicone and apply flashing tape?

Any comments appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20221020_145017 (002).jpg
    20221020_145017 (002).jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20221020_145229 (002).jpg
    20221020_145229 (002).jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20221020_144953 (002).jpg
    20221020_144953 (002).jpg
    325 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
I don't think we can say conclusively from the pictures posted; the window frame looks shagged too, and could be admitting water than then runs into the wall and tracks into the ceiling. There are various other places that look suspect too

Perhaps test your theory by placing a wide sheet of ply under the window sill, on top of the tin roof. Water dripping off the sill will(should) carry down the ply instead, meaning the suspect flashing will(should) stay dry. If you still get ingress but inspect and find the flashing to be dry, the problem is elsewhere

Thanks for your reply. What if I flash band it, then see if that works. Using flashing tape is not the wrong thing to do, is it? Of course I will check out the window frame etc when I have access.

I was thinking to ascertain the cause of the problem before applying a fix. If it's as easy to put some flashband on as a drip board then go for it.. just don't tell anyone on the roofing forum you used it ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

If the leak is down to the failed sealant along the seam of the roof and the wall, what would be the correct way to seal it?

I'd fit a suitably wide flashing (to resist wind driven rain problems), probably with a lead substitute like Leadax because it's easier to work with, and shape it over the tin roof ridges, seal it with their dedicated sealant and chase it in at the top

An easier (but less permanent) DIY approach that doesn't need tools like diamond wheels in grinders might be to liberally apply a new coat of Acrypol or similar to the entire area that was painted with something before (you can see where the tin roof is marked with worn/away black bits

Damp look of render in the corner and green brickwork looks like the gutter at high level is over spilling .. if so that's not going to help the room under..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back