Flat Electrical Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The photo shows part of the route of the cable which supplies my daughter's leasehold flat. Actually the neighbours as I was more concerned about frozen pipes but ours is the same.

This is in the roofspace above the communal stairway.

Cables under insulation - these are the tails from the meter to the consumer unit - run about 15m. They are also under insulation in the flat roofspace - will need to go back and check the fuse rating.

Expanding foam around cables where they pass though the wall

is this OK?

Sorry about the focus - used daughter's blackberry and was struggling to stand in the dark.

Sponsored Links
Three things you need to know :-

-What size are those tails ?
-What size is the protective device for them ?
-What is the potential load on the tails ?

If they are 25mm² tails then is the load on the tails ever going to be above 57 amps (half their clipped direct rating) for any significant length of time ?

Will have a look next time I am there.

At lease I don't need my steps, I can measure the tail at the isolating switch downstairs.

Isolating device is the main fuse - will check rating.

It is a two bedroom flat, shower is electric, hob is gas, heating (Flat and water) is gas so unlikely to be over 57A - but could be in the future.

In practical terms this is unlikely to be a problem, it's a messy job, normally the supply would leave the meter and go to an isolating link and then go to the flat via a concentric or other type of cable where it would join to the flats CU tails via another isolating link.

I was at a commercial site yesterday where a junior school is subbed off a secondary via 25mm armoured cable and a 50A MCB, its been like that for years, never caused any trouble and their consumption would most probably be many times greater than your flat.

However there should be a provision to isolate the flat no more than 3 meters from the meter other than the DNO cut out and then local isolation within the flat.

Sponsored Links
This is in the roofspace above the communal stairway.
Nowhere near enough insulation.

Not concerned about how much (apart from protecting the water pipe) more concerned about where it is and if it affects the cables.

This is the floorspace above the stairwell, above the flat there is so much insulation I struggle to find something to stand on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back