Flat EPDM roof decking question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

This is probably going to appear extremely stupid to most of you,but thought I should ask before making a total pigs ear of a relatively simple job.

I'm about to do a reroof on a small (4m x 2m) extension,where 4m is the length along the house wall,which is just brick,with no fancy coverings.

The existing roof joists appear to be sound,as do the firings??? though the felt,and everything below it needs replacing,and I'll be using 18mm wbp board with the appropriate water based adhesive to fix the EPDM.

So I have 2 questions really:-

1)Does it matter whether I run the boards down the 2m length of the joists,and just cut the ends/sides off to size,or should they always be run across,along the 4m width of the roof.

2)Is it sufficient to simply chase out the mortar 2 bricks up,to the depth of a couple of inches,brush it out thoroughly,and then seal the EPDM in,using some sort of mastic,having firstly used the appropriate substrate adhesive to stick it to the bricks and the edges of the roof,or should I be looking to fit it under a strip of lead flashing,which doesn't currently exist.

The roof won't ever be used for walking on,it'll just be a case of fitting it & shutting the door,and hopefully forgetting about it for the next 20 years or so.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back