Flat felt to pitch tiled roof - worth the cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, long time reader of the forum’s but first time post. Hopefully don’t p**s anyone off cause I know people on forums can get very annoyed when folk ask questions that have been asked before but I couldn’t seem to find an answer for this one.

Recently moved in to a house in the UK which has a flat roof extension (old garage conversion). It’s at an age the felt needs resurfaced and I’m in two minds to have a pitch tiled roof put on instead - I actually think it looks better than flat felt. The area is approx. 3000 x 7000 mm. Before I gets guy’s out to price, I’d like to have a ball park figure so I’m wondering if there’s a rule of thumb for pricing a job like this (e.g. £xx.xx per sq m)? I get it will differ depending on bits and pieces, type of tile etc but just a stake in the ground to give me an idea. As a keen DIYer, curious if anyone has built the timber frame themselves?

Appreciate any advice. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I put a roof on my kitchen extension.

It was very basic, just 1 angle from wall to wall and a couple of velux. It was 6.3x3.3, once the first rafter was cut it was pretty easy and once the felt is on you can take your time tiling it.

Thanks Ian. I’m a keen DIYer but think I’ll be getting the boys in for this. Was just keen to see if there was a ball park cost per square meter. I’ll be getting a price or two in the next few days. My Plan B is to simply have a 3.5m by 2.8m section re-torch felted. Wondering if anyone can help with an approximate cost for this? Sorry if this has been asked, and thanks for any replies!!

Just out of interest

I have a 3M square extension (filling in the gap where the garage is 3 M shorter than the House so 2 walls squaring off the house. It has a flat roof that will need replacing. There is only about 12-18" wall before a window cill gets in the way

Do you need planning consent to change to a shallow pitched tiled roof? Is the angle an issue? A mate is a chippy that I could get some help from but do most of it myself?

Sponsored Links
That’s a lot more than I thought it would be, noseall. But thanks for the heads up. Looks like it’ll be getting a new sheet of felt and I’ll just need to learn to live with the anxiety! Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back