Flat Matt query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at a number of Flat Matt options to help with the period look. Was wondering if people had opinions (good/bad on colours, flat-ness, coverage etc) on some of the options I can find...

So far, looked at Farrow & Ball - good colours but know its pricey, can at least get it in homebase and on a 20% day saves some money (ends up being aroun £48 per 5L). General comments seem to be that good depth in the colours, but coverage isn't that great and can need several coats. But it is good low 2% sheen on their estate emulsion.

Looked at the Dulux Heritage range, but that doesn't seem to be available in the retail shops (which is a shame on the ££ front) as they have some good colours. Seems to quite a few promotors of this here in the past - and can still get it in Trade at around £53.50 per 5L, so suppose with its superior coverage isn't a bad cost option. Would you thin this btw? And how low sheen is it compared to F&B?

There does seem to be Dulux 'Authentic Origins' (out now in Homebase, after a discount day going to cost around £34-40 per 5L) and 'Timeless Classics' (not out in shops yet I think). Anyone tried these yet and have an opinion on colours or 'how flat' it is?

Anyone tried Johnstones Trade Flat Matt - or know what % sheen this is. Is this as flat as Farrow & Ball or Dulux options? Pretty reasonably priced at £35ish per 5L).

Saw the Crown Period range - didn't much like the colours. But if anyone has opinions, also appreciated.

Sponsored Links
F&B are unbeatable if you want 'that look', but i would only use them on a paint that realises the depth of colour. By this i mean that i don't think you've got much to gain against Dulux or crown if your going with a beige or an off white colour, but if your going for stronger colours like greens and blues they do look really nice. The modern emulsion is easier to use than the estate emulsion but it has a higher sheen somewhere around 7-9% if i remember right.

Dulux heritage have some nice colours and i've used them a lot but the difference would be obvious against F&B if painted next to each. I hear a lot of talk from decs saying "just get the F&B colour mixed up in Dulux, no-one will know", hmmm ...

Albany do a classic colour range but i can't remember what its called and havn't used it, havn't used the johnstones either but loads of pro painters like them. I have seen dulux cans labelled 'dead flat' but don't know if it was gloss or emulsion.

Most trade paints need thinning slightly, i do it on judgement and feel which has come with years of experience so you may not want to, you certainly don't have to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back