Flat Refurb Considerations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Pretty simple yet vague question really.

What considerations do I need to give to telephone/computer networking in a 2 bed flat I'm refurbing (see the projects folder).

Do I need anything more than telephone points nowadays with wireless etc being so readily available ?

If I put the main telephone point in the living room and run a wirless modem/router off it I figured I would hardwire my media computer t the router for streaming stuff on to my TV. Other than that I couldn't think of a reason to have fixed network points anywhere.

What're your thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Most if not all modern laptops have wi-fi, a wi-fi modem/router is relatively cheap and USB wireless dongles are available for £10-20, so wireless networking would seem a more sensible option than hardwired.

You can stream media over wi-fi, but for high def stuff you need a fast connection with very good signal quality and reliability. With that in mind, I'd run in a couple of network cables if I could.

Yep agree with above poster, make sure you are running Cat6 feeds to each room running back to your area where the router/switch will be located.

I for one would prefer to use wired over wireless especially shifting large files/HD etc.

I also agree, wired is the way to go for a refurb, buy a roll of the stuff and if its only a flat there should be plenty for at least 2 feeds to each room, you don't have to terminate it now, but if its there you can use it later, most single faceplates can have 2 outlets in.

if noting else, the huge range of baluns avaliable means you could use the cat6 for other a/v stuff at a later date.

Sponsored Links
If you're doing a complete rewire you might as well do it properly and run some cat5e or cat6 around. Get the master socket moved into a convenient cupboard where you can terminate all your cabling.

Totally unnecessary cost for refurbishment, you should be making money on it not spending money on it. :rolleyes:

Totally unnecessary cost for refurbishment, you should be making money on it not spending money on it. :rolleyes:

Do you know what it costs to run some cat5e around a small flat?

If your profit is going to be seriously affected by a hundred quid, you should rethink the entire idea..

I'd agree, but the OP kinda indicates he's refurbing to live there himself rather than to resell.

Sponsored Links
Back