Flat refurb...............needing paint advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've just started re-furbing a one bed flat. All walls have been stripped to the old plaster, the ceilings have been skimmed & the woodwork will be rubbed down very soon.
What I'd like your advice on is the following.
What brands of paint would you guys recommend & where should I buy it from?
The ceilings will be white (matt emulsion), the walls will be magnolia (matt emulsion) & the woodwork will be white satinwood finish.
I'm obviously going to avoid chainstore brands (Homebase for example) & presumably need special paint for the kitchen & bathroom.
Quite prepared for 3 or 4 coats but would also like to know exactly when to give the walls their final rub down.
Thanks in advance,

Slime.

Sponsored Links
If you removed wallpaper to expose the skim you will first need to wash the walls down with warm water to remove any paste residue perhaps more than once, when dry you will need to apply a mistcoat to all the skim.

Eggshell paints are best for kitchens & bathrooms,and look at Dulux, Gliddens, and Leyland for your paint. What do you mean by giving the walls the final rub down.

Dec

Thanks for the very prompt reply TheDec,
I believe that the walls should be given a final LIGHT rub down either after the first coat or before the last one, just to remove any little dimples & things......................or maybe that's not necessary?

Slime.

Better to apply your mist coat first then any areas that require filling will be more visable, fill if required sand and mist the filled areas before you continue, is the woodwork prepainted or bare.

Dec

Sponsored Links
The woodwork is currently a mixture of old gloss, coffee stains, nicotine stains & scratches.
I intend to rub down but probably won't need to undercoat. Will put satinwood straight on.

Slime.

I think perhaps best to wash it with sugar soap first then sand, if there is no drastic colour change straight on with the satinwood.

Dec

Thanks TheDec,
anywhere you recommend for buying the paint?
My local choices are Homebase, Jewsons, B&Q, Wickes or Brewers........I don't want to be ripped off,
thanks mate,

Slime.

It often pays to shop around different outlets different offers, so shop around and always try to go for Trade rather than retail.

Dec

If you have a Brewers their Albany range isn't bad paint at all (emulsions that is) and its good value and its the range they are most likely to discount so worth trying your luck. The best WB eggshell in my opinion is the dulux diamond, its pricy but reliable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back