flat roof advice needed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently building a blockwork garage, the roof of which will be level with the rear garden. plan is to use the roof of the garage as an extension to the garden so the kids have more room.
question is what options are there for covering the roof that'll take constant use without leaking ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Turf it

Odney.png

The right combination can blend it in well.

was thinking more of a solid surface, that can be used in all weather or that dries relatively quickly.
it's the actual roof structure I need help with rather than the finished surface. what would be the simplest/cheapest solution for constructing and sealing the roof (timber or concrete or other) that could have a finish applied to it, such as astroturf ?

thanks... hope that makes sense

Fibreglass the roof but you need to make sure the struture is sound so no bounce in boards.Make sure you use roofing grade fibreglass,better still get alocal company in,can cause problems if not done properly but that goes for any thing

Sponsored Links
The only membrane you can put on there that won't be destroyed by kids playing on it will be paving grade Asphalt. This ideally would need a concrete deck. Any other membrane will need protection in some form be it paving slabs/promenade tiles etc. If its going to be used as a play surface as i suggested or felt and rubber playtop surface. We're fitting one on the roof of a block of flats at the minute as its been turned into a roof playground.

When I replaced my garage roof, you can walk on to it from the garden I used 7 X 2 joists at 300 ctrs with 25mm ply then got a local company to lay 3 coats of hot asphalt, the roof is regularly walked on also used for storing my rib in the winter its been there now for 25 yrs with no probs yet.

that's sort of what I intend to do Algas, except I'm putting decking over the top of the asphalt roof leaving a 50mm air gap.

GRP as said before or EPDM with both systems you can pretty much walk on them with high heels.
You can also slab both systems.

Id recommend GRP fiberglass and ring round the locals and ask for 600matt with a 20 year warranty.
Any GRP system must be fitted with 18mm osb3 tongue and groove boards and any good roofer will usually charge around £70 to £80 psm including osb and fitting.
I offer my customers a choice of roof kits both grp and epdm and charge a day rate to fit. I also offer reduced rates if the customer is fit and able to labour for me.

dave

finally decided on GRP, but used 25mm WBP ply instead of OSB
the 1st coat went on last night and, as it rained overnight, seems to be water tight.
we're putting a non slip top coat on, using granulated slate mixed in, but can't find any info on what ratio to use or kg/m2 ?
the roof is 21 square metres, can anyone help with this ?

thanks for all the input and advice.

Just get a large container drill some holes in it like a large pepper pot and distribute evenly.

I usually put in a 1kg granules into roughly 10kg topcoat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back